As I stumbled into the kitchen, half-awake and craving something crispy and golden air fryer hash browns, my eyes landed on the glorious contraption known as the air fryer. A mischievous grin crossed my face as I grabbed a bag of potatoes and declared it hash brown time!
With a quick chop, a sprinkle of seasoning, and a push of a button, the air fryer came to life, promising to transform my sleepy morning into a sizzling adventure. Oh, homemade air fryer hash browns, you are the miracle of modern kitchen technology. Let’s see if you can crisp up my morning and make me a believer in breakfast miracles!
Easy Air Fryer Hash Browns Recipe
Air fryer hash browns are a tasty and convenient breakfast or snack that can be prepared in a matter of minutes. These crispy and golden brown potato patties are cooked to perfection in an air fryer using minimal oil for a healthier option than traditional deep-fried hash browns.
They are perfect for those who love the crispy texture of fried foods but want to avoid the greasiness and excess calories. With a few simple ingredients and an air fryer, you can easily make these delicious hash browns at home and enjoy them any time of the day.
How to cook Hash Browns in Air Fryer
- 2 large peeled and grated potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Combine the grated potatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix well to coat the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Place the potato mixture in the air fryer basket and spread it in an even layer.
- Cook the hash browns for 10 to 12 minutes or until they get golden brown and crispy. Shake the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Serve the hash browns hot, garnished with chopped parsley or chives if desired.
Air-fried hash browns are a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional fried hash browns. They are easy to make and require minimal ingredients. Moreover, these are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. With its crispy texture and golden brown color, this recipe will satisfy your cravings and impress your taste buds. So, why not give this easy recipe a try and enjoy the deliciousness of hash browns today?
- Total preparation time: 15 minutes
- Hands-on preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
- Air fryer temperature: 400°F (200°C)
This recipe makes approximately 4 servings.
Each serving of air-fried hash browns contains approximately 150-180 calories, depending on the size of the potatoes and the amount of oil used.
Cheesy Herb Air Fried Hash Browns
Adding some grated cheese and chopped herbs like chives or parsley to the potato mixture will introduce a creamy, savory flavor with a fresh aromatic twist. The cheese adds richness to the hash browns while the herbs give them a delightful and refreshing taste. Try this variation for a delicious, cheesy and herbaceous version of the classic air-fried hash browns.
Another twist is to use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. This will add a natural sweetness and a slightly different texture to the dish. You could add some diced onions or bell peppers to the potato mixture for an extra flavor boost. Moreover, you could serve the hash browns with a dipping sauce such as ketchup or sriracha to add a tangy or spicy kick to the dish.
Tips and Variations
- Experiment with different seasoning blends such as garlic powder, paprika, or dried herbs for a flavorful twist.
- For a cheesy indulgence, sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the hash browns during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Add diced onions, bell peppers, or other vegetables to the grated potatoes for extra texture and flavor.
- Air-fried hash browns make a fantastic side dish for breakfast or brunch. Serve them alongside scrambled eggs, bacon, and fresh fruits for a complete morning meal.
- They also make a delicious snack or appetizer. Pair them with a dipping sauce like ketchup, sriracha mayo, or a tangy aioli for added enjoyment.
What type of potatoes should I use for homemade air-fried hash browns?
It is recommended to use starchy potatoes like Russet or Yukon Gold for the best texture and crispiness in your air fryer hash browns.
Do I need to peel the potatoes before making hash browns in the air fryer?
The decision to peel the potatoes is up to personal preference. You can leave the skin on for added texture and nutrients, or peel them if you prefer a smoother texture.
How do I prevent the hash browns from sticking to the air fryer basket?
To prevent sticking, lightly coat the air fryer basket with cooking spray or a thin layer of oil before adding the shredded potatoes.
Can I make the hash browns ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make the hash browns ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes until they are warmed through and crispy again.
Can I add onions or other vegetables to my air fryer hash browns?
Absolutely! Feel free to add diced onions, bell peppers, or any other desired vegetables to your hash browns for added flavor and texture.
Can I freeze homemade air-fried hash browns?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked hash browns. After they cool completely, place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat them in the air fryer until they are heated through and crispy.
What are some serving suggestions for air fryer hash browns?
Air fryer hash browns are versatile and can be enjoyed as a side dish for breakfast, brunch or even as a snack. Serve them alongside eggs, bacon or fresh fruit salad for a delicious and satisfying meal.